8 Sleep Experts on What to Do When You Can’t Turn Off Your Thoughts at Night
- Distract yourself with meaningless mental lists. “The absolute prerequisite for sleep is a quiet mind.
- Try to stay awake instead.
- Write down whatever’s freaking you out.
- Try not to try so hard.
- And if all else fails …
How do I shut my brain off so I can sleep?
12 Ways to Shut Off Your Brain Before Bedtime
- Realize sleep is essential.
- Have a regular sleep schedule.
- Create a pre-sleep routine.
- Write down your worries — earlier in the day.
- Use your bed for sleep and intimacy.
- Create an optimal environment.
- Busy your brain with mental exercises.
- Focus on the positive.
How can I calm my anxiety at night?
Drink plenty of water throughout the day, but don’t drink too much before bedtime, as trips to the bathroom can keep you anxious and alert. Calm your mind – There are many relaxation techniques that can help you calm your mind throughout the day and improve sleep.
How do I stop worrying about sleep?
5 Tips to Sleep Better — When You Worry About Not Sleeping
- Keep your sleep schedule the same. You can improve your sleep by ensuring that you have a consistent sleep schedule.
- Take some quiet time before bedtime. Give yourself a couple hours of quiet, relaxed time before bed as a buffer.
- Distract yourself if you can’t sleep.
- Learn how to relax.
- Keep a sleep log.