- Not Sleepy? Stay Up.
- Put Off Paying the Bills. Stressful subjects, like work or your finances, can make your thoughts churn.
- Make a To-Do List.
- Let Your Muscles Fully Relax.
- Slow Your Breath, Slow Your Mind.
- Make Your Bedroom a No-Screen Zone.
- Call Out Your Worries.
How do I shut my brain off so I can sleep?
12 Ways to Shut Off Your Brain Before Bedtime
- Realize sleep is essential.
- Have a regular sleep schedule.
- Create a pre-sleep routine.
- Write down your worries — earlier in the day.
- Use your bed for sleep and intimacy.
- Create an optimal environment.
- Busy your brain with mental exercises.
- Focus on the positive.
How do you empty your mind?
Sit upright, on the floor or a chair, close your eyes and start focusing on your breath. Take a few breaths and follow your breath. Think of a few things that you’re thankful for and name them in your mind, then smile. As you continue to smile, follow your breath; inhale and exhale.
How do I clear my mind and relax?
Relaxing the mind
- Take slow, deep breaths. Or try other breathing exercises for relaxation.
- Soak in a warm bath.
- Listen to soothing music.
- Practice mindful meditation. The goal of mindful meditation is to focus your attention on things that are happening right now in the present moment.
- Use guided imagery.
How can I slow down my brain at night?
How To Slow Down Your Mind At Night
- Create an evening routine. This includes turning off your devices, turning down lights, and anything else to signal to your brain that a change is coming.
- Avoid caffeine.
- Put your phone in a different room.
- Turn off push notifications.
- If you have to do work at night.
- Use your bed only for sleep.
Is overthinking a mental disorder?
Overthinking is linked to psychological problems, like depression and anxiety. It’s likely that overthinking causes mental health to decline and as your mental health declines, the more likely you are to overthink. It’s a vicious downward spiral.
How can I stop thinking too much?
If this feels like familiar territory to you, here are 10 simple ideas to free yourself from overthinking.
- Awareness is the beginning of change.
- Don’t think of what can go wrong, but what can go right.
- Distract yourself into happiness.
- Put things into perspective.
- Stop waiting for perfection.
- Change your view of fear.