Progressive muscle relaxation helps you relax physically and mentally.
- Lie comfortably on the floor.
- Take a few deep breaths to relax.
- Breathe in. Tense the muscles of your feet.
- Breathe out. Release the tension in your feet.
- Breathe in. Tense your calf muscles.
- Breathe out.
- Work your way up your body.
How do you take a deep breath?
- Sit or lie flat in a comfortable position.
- Put one hand on your belly just below your ribs and the other hand on your chest.
- Take a deep breath in through your nose, and let your belly push your hand out.
- Breathe out through pursed lips as if you were whistling.
- Do this breathing 3 to 10 times.
How do you breathe deeply when you have anxiety?
The next time you’re feeling anxious try this simple relaxation technique:
- Inhale slowly and deeply through your nose. Keep your shoulders relaxed.
- Exhale slowly through your mouth. As you blow air out, purse your lips slightly, but keep your jaw relaxed.
- Repeat this breathing exercise for several minutes.
How does deep breathing help you relax?
Deep breathing is one of the best ways to lower stress in the body. This is because when you breathe deeply, it sends a message to your brain to calm down and relax. Breathing exercises are a good way to relax, reduce tension, and relieve stress.
What happens when you take a deep breath?
As you breathe in, the diaphragm drops downward, pulling your lungs with it and pressing against abdominal organs to make room for your lungs to expand as they fill with air. Deep abdominal breathing encourages full oxygen exchange — that is, the beneficial trade of incoming oxygen for outgoing carbon dioxide.