Here are 11 strategies you can use to try to stop a panic attack when you’re having one or when you feel one coming on:
- Use deep breathing.
- Recognize that you’re having a panic attack.
- Close your eyes.
- Practice mindfulness.
- Find a focus object.
- Use muscle relaxation techniques.
- Picture your happy place.
What helps panic attacks fast?
Ways to stop a panic attack
- Acceptance and recognition. A person may have experienced panic attacks in the past.
- Deep breathing. Deep breathing can sometimes bring a panic attack under control.
- Inhale lavender.
- Limit stimuli.
- Learn triggers.
- Light exercise.
- Mindfulness exercises.
Do panic attacks ever go away?
Psychotherapy can help you understand panic attacks and panic disorder and learn how to cope with them. You may start to see panic attack symptoms reduce within several weeks, and often symptoms decrease significantly or go away within several months.
How long does panic attack last?
Panic attack signs and symptoms
The signs and symptoms of a panic attack develop abruptly and usually reach their peak within 10 minutes. They rarely last more than an hour, with most ending within 20 to 30 minutes. Panic attacks can happen anywhere and at any time.